How the recent controversy around the Emilia Perez film affects YSL.
Original Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG7mzWHjAgE&ab_channel=JonathanFujii
Follow me on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/fashionroadman
My E-Book: https://www.thefashionarchivemag.com/shop
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/fashionroadman
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/30khAeSML8vrmhrbCL86Ca
Join My Fashion Discord: https://discord.gg/vW6vMz2eHq
Website: https://www.thefashionarchivemag.com/
Social Media: https://linktr.ee/fashionroadman
Join this channel to get access to perks:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVmPyrwjL0wepDhmvgzlOcA/join
___________________
MORE INFO
Tweets posted by best actress nominee Karla Sofía Gascón, mostly between 2019 and 2024, have caused significant fallout and left the film’s awards campaign in disarray.
Gascón has released several statements and given interviews since the controversy began, but in a new Instagram post, external she said she now wanted to step back and “let the work talk for itself”.
She added she hoped her silence would “allow the film to be appreciated for what it is, a beautiful ode to love and difference”.
Gascón had already pulled out of appearing at several awards season events in the coming days. It is not yet clear whether she will still attend the Oscars on 2 March.
Her latest statement follows an interview the film’s director Jacques Audiard gave to Deadline,, external in which he condemned Gascón’s tweets and said he was no longer in contact with her.
In her new statement, Gascón said: “Following Jacques’ interview that I understand, I decided, for the film, for Jacques, for the cast, for the incredible crew who deserves it, for the beautiful adventure we all had together, to let the work talk for itself.”
She also reiterated her regret for her original tweets, saying that she wanted to “sincerely apologise to everyone who has been hurt along the way”.
The original tweets saw Gascón make comments about Islam, George Floyd, and the high level of diversity at the Oscars.
After they were brought to light, Gascón said she was “deeply sorry to those I have caused pain”, adding that she is not racist and that many of her comments had been taken out of context.
In the days since, Hollywood has distanced itself from her posts, while Netflix appears to have refocused its campaign efforts on the film’s other nominees.
Netflix has not publicly commented (BBC News approached the streamer for this article), but the company has been distancing itself from her comments in recent days.
Here is how the campaign around Gascón has changed, following the controversy.
At this time of year, film studios take out advertisements intended to make a particular film more visible to awards voters.
The movie will have already have had a separate promotional push at the time of its release, targeted at the public in the hope of securing high box office or streaming numbers.
But the For Your Consideration (FYC) adverts which run during awards season are specifically intended to draw awards voters’ attention to the categories the film has been nominated in at events such as the Baftas and Oscars.
Previously, Gascón featured prominently in Netflix’s publicity material, which reminded voters that she was nominated for best leading actress.
But an updated FYC poster, external released on Monday almost entirely erased Gascón, instead making her co-stars Zoe Saldaña and Selena Gomez much more prominent.
“The shift suggests Netflix is trying to minimize Gascón’s contributions so that the controversy around her remarks won’t overshadow the film or the work of her co-stars and collaborators,” suggested Variety’s Clayton Davis.
Gascón released several statements following the controversy, mostly via her social media accounts.
But she also gave an emotional, hour-long sit-down interview, external to CNN en Español.
It has since come to light that Gascón took part in the interview without the involvement or agreement of the film’s PR team.
The Hollywood Reporter said it had learned, external that the actress “set up the interview on her own without the involvement of anyone working on the film, which was distributed by Netflix”.
The fact that this line has been briefed to US journalists suggests Netflix is not only distancing itself from Gascón, but that the streamer’s own PR team would not have signed off on such an interview being granted.
Often, publicity teams advise a celebrity in crisis not to give too many interviews and statements, as it can keep a negative story alive for longer or even make the situation worse.
Gascón had been due to appear at several events in the next week or so.
These included the AFI Awards luncheon, the Critics Choice Awards, the Directors Guild of America Awards, the Producers Guild of America Awards, and the Santa Barbara International Film Festival.
#emiliapérez #emiliapérez #ysl